- Inspect roofs each week leading up to and during the winter season.
- Sweep up debris and check tar seals.
- Keep roof drains clear and be prepared if necessary to pump water off roof.
- Check that flashings are flush and secure.
- Plan for emergency snow removal in event of heavy accumulation. Identify and supply proper equipment and check it in advance of predicted snows.
- Clean gutters thoroughly, removing all debris and unclogging drains.
- Run test of gutters and downspouts to be sure water does not back up.
- Check outflow of downspouts to push water away from building foundation.
- Dry pipe and wet pipe sprinkler systems should be mapped along with low point drains, should the system ever need to be initiated.
- Wet pipe sprinklers need to be protected from cold air so that pipes do not freeze, which would render the system useless.