Firewater response received an urgent call from one of our regions housing authorities about an outbreak of scabies in a commercial building with a daycare on the first floor. Many children were infected and there was concern that the outbreak would spread to other
areas in the building.
Description of Loss-
Scabies outbreak affecting a daycare facility in a multi-level, multi-unit structure
- Eradicate all traces of the scabies
- Minimize loss of business
- Restore building to industry standard
Course of Action-
- Consult CDC for standards and practices
- Mobilized a certified 10 person crew
- Equip work force with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including N95 masks.
- Quarantined infected area
- Sorted and decontaminated contents of the daycare using an industry approved biocide.
- Treated walls, floors and surfaces
- Used HEPA vacuums to disinfect carpeting
- Submitted MSD sheets to the housing authority.
- Housing Authority signs off after losing only one business day.
- Assured the issue was abated pending the infected were properly treated.
- Thoroughly cleaned all equipment used and discarded the PPEs.